Friday, April 29, 2011

Marc Mayer acting silly

Howdy!

I don't know which Marc Mayer (one and two) wrote this article in Macleans, but no matter how hard you try to convince me that Winnipeg is the new black, I won't fall for it.

"[A] decent school of art," "a centenary art museum now new and improved," "a one-time artist-run centre now pushing 40... with fancy new digs" and one art magazine do not make for an "art scene." Not even if you name drop Marcel Dzama, Jon Pylypchuk, Karel Funk and Sarah Anne Johnson.

If it was the National Gallery's Marc Mayer that wrote the article, in the exhibit of recent acquisitions by the National Gallery ten of the 54 artists could be considered Montreal Artists. While I'm not as up to date with who the Winnipeg artists are I sure ass shootin' don't count ten in that list.

And if it was Art21's Marc Mayer who wrote the article, in the exhibit of recent acquisitions by the National Gallery ten of the 54 artists could be considered Montreal Artists. While I'm not as up to date with who the Winnipeg artists are I sure ass shootin' don't count ten in that list.