Wednesday, April 13, 2011

New Personal Canadian Art Discovery - Walter J. Phillips rocks my world

Howdy!

Somewhere about two weeks ago I was in Ottawa, and I ended up at the other art gallery there - the Ottawa Art Gallery - not quite as well known as The National Gallery, but thankfully it doesn't have any insecurities.

While I was there I saw their exhibit Of Earth and Sky: Prairie Artists in the Firestone Collection of Canadian Art. And it was the first time in my life that I had ever seen any paintings by Walter J. Phillips (why do I always want to write J. Walter Phillips?)

I had only known him as the name behind some gallery out west, but it had never occurred to me to ask who was Phillip J. Walter. And boy do I feel stupid. After seeing his work, all I can say is I want more, more, more.

Thankfully Canadian Art magazine came through in a pinch.